Thursday, September 30, 2010

Hello October!

Tomorrow is the start of October and that means it's pumpkin season. For the past few years, I have always celebrated with some of my favorite cookies. I look forward to this time all year. Technically, I could make these cookies any day of the year, but for some reason they taste so much better during October. Ideally, I would be able to look out my window and see the leaves changing and feel the brisk, crisp air blowing. Well, I live in Tucson. Today, the last day of September, it was a blistering 103 degrees and we don't have trees with real leaves that could ever change color. It doesn't feel or look like Fall outside, but inside it smells like pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg. I feel like making a hot cup of tea and bundling up in a big blanket. Too bad the AC is on full blast and at 8:30 at night, it is still 93 degrees outside. Regardless, I can still pretend like it's changing seasons and eat these yummy cookies.

I need to give credit to my good friend Ashley for these cookies. This recipe is from her and they have been one of my favorites. I made these last year and was cleaned out by my other med students. The frosting recipe is by Paula Dean and is by far the best cream cheese frosting I have ever had. I don't like frosting very much, but I could eat this stuff plain by the spoonful. These are so soft and just the right about of sweetness. These are one of the best parts of October.


Ashely's Pumpkin Cookies
  • 1/2 c. shortening
  • 1 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 c. canned pumpkin
  • 2 1/2 c. flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cream together the shortening and sugar. Add the egg and mix. Add the pumpkin and mix. In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg). Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix. Dough will be thick.

Drop by teaspoons onto greased cookie sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are slightly browned. Frost when cool.

Paula's Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 1 lb (16 oz.) cream cheese, softened
  • 2 sticks butter, softened
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 4 c. confectioners sugar
Beat together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla. Slowly add the confectioners sugar on low speed and beat until incorporated. Increase speed to high and mix until light and fluffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails