Wednesday, February 16, 2011

What Surprised You Today?

When I was a kid, I had a friend whose mom would always make spicy pretzels. It was one of my favorite snacks and I still make it today. I made this last year for the Superbowl and they were the perfect party snack. They take less than a minute to make (plus some time to let them sit), and turn out absolutely delicious. These will disappear in no time. The ingredients seem simple, but when you combine them all together it makes a kickbutt snack. Over the years I have played with the recipe, trying different seasonings, baking it, etc but I think I've finally perfected it. A friend discovered the secret--lemon pepper and Hidden Valley ranch dressing packet. Lemon pepper is a very interesting seasoning to have in this mix, but it really gives the pretzels exactly what they were missing. Also, make sure you buy Hidden Valley ranch packets. I have tried to store brands and other brands and they just do not taste as good. I don't know what they do over at Hidden Valley, but they know their ranch and they do it perfectly. Make this snack whenever you have a craving for something salty and spicy, you won't regret it.

On a separate note, today was our last session of the Healer's Art. I cannot tell you how much I got out of this course. My oath to myself is "May my patients trust me. May I trust my patients. May I trust myself." This is something that I will hopefully stay true to the rest of my life. Moreover, I promised to myself that I will be surprised everyday. One of my favorite things from the course is to reflect on what surprised me, what inspired me, and what moved me everyday. You don't realize it until you actually consciously think about it. For me, it is my dog. No matter how his day was, he is always excited to see me when I get home. No questions asked, his tail is always wagging and he is so happy. Because of this, he exudes his positive energy upon me and I am then happy as well. No other human is ever like this. No questions asked, every single day, he is always so incredibly happy to see me. I had never noticed this small action before, but after opening my eyes and mind I notice these little surprises. 

Since it was our last day of the course, we were given the book Kitchen Table Wisdom by Rachel Naomi Remen. It is a collection of short stories that heal. I am so excited to start reading it.

Now, make these pretzels to snack on and curl up with a good book!

Spicy Pretzels
  • 1 bag pretzels
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp lemon pepper
  • 1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch mix
  • 3/4 c. vegetable oil
In a small bowl, mix cayenne pepper, garlic powder, lemon pepper, ranch mix, and vegetable oil. Pour pretzels into a large ziploc bag. Pour seasoning/oil mix over pretzels. Seal bag and gently shake to mix. Let sit for at least 2 hours. 

1 comment:

  1. I remember these, but had definitely lost the recipe. I'm so glad you posted it!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails