Friday, May 27, 2011

Yum Sauce

This is one of the best secrets in town. Every Friday, the UA Animal Sciences Meat Science Lab has a Meat Sale from 3-7 PM. It's that tiny "MEAT SALE" sign you see on the side of Campbell when you're driving to Trader Joe's. They have lots of cuts of organic beef, pork, and chicken that are at ridiculously low prices. For instance, today I got two NY strip steaks and a huge cut of flank steak for under $20. The meat is really great quality and perfect for the Griddler. 

I decided to try my hand at a chimichuri sauce. It seemed like a nice, fresh summer topping for a warm steak and veggies. I started with the base recipe of parsley, garlic, olive oil, crushed red pepper, and salt, then put my own twist on it. I would have loved to add some fresh cilantro, but they were all out at the store. I also used some basil from the garden and for acidity some rice vinegar (I was out of red wine vinegar). The sauce is this crazy bright green that looks amazing. It tastes great with a nice steak and I also drizzled some over my grilled veggies. I even used some of the leftovers for dipping carrots today. This sauce is super versatile--I could see it mixed in a pasta salad, poured over some grilled chicken, on the side with some baked fish. It adds a nice fresh flavor and a little hint of spice. Enjoy!


Basic Chimichuri Sauce
  • 2 c. fresh parsley
  • 1/2 c. fresh basil
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
  • 2 tsp. rice vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
  • 1/4 tsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt (or more to taste)
Throw everything in the food processor. Bam! You're done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails