Wednesday, May 19, 2010

It's Pronounced "Keen-Wah"

Still sick, so we had soup again tonight. I also wanted to make a hearty and healthy quinoa as a side. Quinoa is not found in most kitchens, but it definitely should be. It's super high in protein, has lots of essential amino acids, gluten-free, and high in fiber. Everyone should eat it because it's also delicious and has a great texture. We had some artichokes from the CSA and I found a great Artichoke Asparagus Quinoa recipe on Closet Cooking. I modified the recipe a lot. I added some garlic (of course), sauteed rather than blanched the asparagus, and removed the garbanzo beans. If I were to do it again, I would definitely not do the artichokes. Those things are so hard to prep! Removing the tough outer leaves, peeling away the skin around the heart, and then taking out the choke. Way too much work for not much product. I think the dish would be perfectly fine with just the asparagus. Unfortunately, I'm still sick which means I don't have my sense of taste. But luckily, the taste tester was here and said it was delish! It might not be the prettiest dish, but it certainly does taste good. Who knew something so healthy could be so yummy?!


Artichoke and Asparagus Quinoa
  • 8 baby artichokes (optional)
  • 1/2 pound asparagus (trimmed, cut into 1 inch pieces)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup pesto
  • 1/4 cup feta (crumbled)
1. Peel the leaves from the artichokes until you get to the paler tender inner 2. leaves. Cut the top third off and discard and cut the artichoke in half. Remove the inner choke (the furry part).
2. Heat the oil in a pan.
3. Add the artichoke hearts and asparagus and saute until tender, about 6-8 minutes.
4. Add the quinoa and broth, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the quinoa is tender, about 15-20 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and mix in pesto and feta.

Here's a cute picture of a puppy:

1 comment:

  1. Stacy, I made this tonight with broccoli instead of asparagus - it's out of season :( - and no artichokes as you recommended. I'm always looking for quick and easy things to make on weeknights and this hit the spot! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails