Friday, June 11, 2010

Busy Day Means Pizza Time

Today was super busy. This morning I had a meeting to try and start a new CUP program for school. I had the idea while I was at the Nutrition and Health Conference in the beginning of May. The program focuses on bringing nutrition education to elementary school kids in a fun and interactive way. I have some ideas of activities and I think it will be a lot of fun. I just need to tie together some loose ends and hope that it all comes together.

After the meeting, I had an appointment for a free facial peel at Ulta. It was all philosophy products, which are amazing. It was a little awkward though because I was sitting in the middle of the store, with this white goop all over my face for 5 minutes. Even after that situation, my skin does feel amazing. Then, after, I had to make it to an ophthalmologist appointment. After about an hour and a half consult, we decided my vision problems are due to the wrong prescription and old contact brand. I don't think I'll ever be 20/20, so this will have to do.

After a filled day, we settled down for homemade pizza night. This time, I tried the whole wheat crust from Trader Joe's. They make my favorite pizza crusts--plain, herb, and whole wheat. I also tried a little pre-baking this time and I think it really helped the crust. The only down side was that pesto sauce can make a very oily pizza. Other than that, this pizza turned out great. The potatoes gave a great twist to the traditional flavors and a very interesting texture. Not to mention it was ready in less than an hour.

Potato Pesto Pizza
adapted from Food.People.Want
  • 1 package Trader Joe's pizza dough
  • Flour, for dusting
  • 1 cup pesto
  • 2-3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
  • 2 medium yukon gold potatoes, very thinly sliced
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • Olive oil
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Crushed red pepper flakes
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Remove the dough from the wrapper and let rest for 20 minutes on a lightly floured surface.

In the meantime, blanch the potato slices in boiling water until just cooked through, about 2-3 minutes. Drain and allow to cool slightly before drying the slices with paper towels. Place in a bowl and lightly coat with olive oil, Italian seasoning, and salt.

After the dough is done resting, form into a 12-inch diameter circle using a pizza stone or sheet. Place the dough into the oven and pre-bake for 2 minutes.

Remove the dough from the oven and spread an even layer of pesto, carefully spreading it to within 1/2-inch of the edge.
Top with an even layer of the grated mozzarella cheese followed by slices of parboiled potatoes. Top with a light sprinkling of a bit more mozzarella, season with salt to taste and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Lightly brush the exposed crust with a bit of olive oil to promote browning.

Bake until the crust is crisped and golden and the cheese is bubbling and just beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Remove the pizza from the oven and allow it to rest for a few minutes before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails