Friday, July 8, 2011

Indian Saag 2.0

I don’t know what it is about Indian people (dots not feathers), but they are so secretive. Close to 10 percent of my class are of Indian descent and I’ve asked every one of them to ask their mom for their family Saag recipe. I’m still waiting.

Until now I have been using a recipe that is a sad imitation of the creamy, smoky saag that I eat at Saffron or any Indian Buffet for that matter. My saag is too green. I’m sure you’re wondering what color has to do with taste. Well, this is purely speculation on my part, but I’m pretty sure, the reason my saag is so green is because I didn’t cook it long enough. Also, this may also account for why my saag is bitter instead of smoky and pasty, not creamy.

This past month I was fortunate enough to work with a doctor who is Bengali and not so tight lipped. I know I know Bangladesh is not India. But let me remind you that Bangladesh is surrounded by India on all but one of its borders. So, this is as close to authentic as I will get until I can convince an old Indian woman to lend me her secrets.

Lamb Saag
from Dr. Halder

• 20 oz frozen chopped spinach
• 1 med onion (yellow)
• 2 cloves of garlic (peeled and coarsely chopped)
• 1x1 inch piece of ginger (sliced)
• 2 tbsp water
• 3 tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
• 1 tsp ground turmeric
• 1 tsp ground coriander
• 2 tbsp tomato puree or tomato paste
• 1 tsp garam masala
• 2 tbsp regular whipping cream

1. Defrost your chopped spinach and drain. I used a salad spinner.
2. Coarsely chop onion, garlic, ginger.
3. Add the chopped onion, garlic, and ginger to a blender.
4. Add the 2 tbsp of water and puree into a paste.
5. Next heat your oil into the pan under medium heat. Get it hot but don’t allow the oil to smoke because it will start to combust into flames sooner than later.
6. Add your cumin seeds. (Do not substitute powdered cumin for seeds because it will burn faster)
7. Allow the cumin seeds to cook until golden brown.
8. Once golden brown add the turmeric and spinach.
9. Stir for 5 minutes and then add the coriander, tomato puree/paste, and blended onion, garlic, ginger.
10. Cook for another 20 minutes still under medium heat. Stir continuously to avoid any burning.
11. Add the garam masala and regular whipping cream to the dish.
12. Salt and pepper to taste.
13. I also cooked chopped lamb shoulder separately and mixed it into the finished dish to give the dish more volume.
14. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails