Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Little Taste of the Islands

I can remember growing up and my mom, grandmother, and uncles always cooking delicious Hawaiian food for our family potlucks. Some of my favorite memories of my childhood involve food. My uncles would all bring their version of poke and I would be the official taste-tester. Some involved combinations of tuna, octopus, and different seaweeds, but my favorite was always the traditional version. I remember having a Hawaiian themed birthday party and my mom cooked a feast. The table was filled with chicken long rice, kahlua pig, lomi lomi, lau lau, spam musubi, poke, fried wontons, potato mac, poi, and (my favorite) haupia for dessert (I purposely left out loco moco, ick!). That list probably sounded like a foreign language to most, but to me, that's a list of some of my favorite things in the world.

Yesterday, my mom made a great spin on haupia. She got this recipe from my Auntie Tammy. Haupia is like a coconut jello. It is simply made with just coconut milk, cornstarch, sugar, and water. If you like coconut, you will love this. This classic dessert reminds me of Hawaii--just take a bite, close your eyes, and imagine you're sitting on a beach. This version takes the classic haupia and adds a wonderful buttery crust and a layer of cool whip to sweeten the deal. You also get a sprinkling of nuts for a little crunch and a nice flavor. Bring this to your next summer bbq, it will be sure to make a splash.


Haupia Delite
from Mom and Auntie Tammy

Crust:
  • 1 1/2 c. flour
  • 4 Tbsp. powdered sugar
  • 1/2 c. chopped walnuts
  • 1 1/2 sticks butter
Mix flour, sugar, and nuts. Cut in butter. Press dough into 9 x 13-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Cool

Filling:
  • 2 c. coconut milk
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1 c. water
  • 7 Tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 1/2 c. water
  • 8 oz. cool whip
  • Chopped walnuts to sprinkle on top
Mix coconut milk, sugar, and water. Cook until hot. Add cornstarch mixture and stir until thick and boiling. Cool. Pour into baked crust. Chill 3-4 hours. Add cool whip and sprinkle with chopped nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails