Wednesday, April 7, 2010

I Thought I Hated Fennel

I have never been a fan of anise or black licorice so obviously, I thought I would hate fennel. Whenever I saw it on a menu or in a recipe, I always steered clear. I mean seriously, who didn't pick out the black jelly beans in their mix bag and toss them in the trash? The word fennel alone would give me shivers. This week we got a head of fennel in our CSA bags and I contemplated long and hard if I wanted to trade it for something else, but I really didn't want any more leafy greens. So I brought it home and decided on a Carrot Fennel Pasta. Let me tell you, it turned out amazing and I now have to admit that I love, yes love, fennel. Granted, I cooked it in garlic and butter, and let's face it, really what doesn't taste delicious in that decadent mix? This pasta came out wonderful and it was a breeze to make. I used the carrots left over from last week's harvest and a few other things I found in the fridge. The dish looks beautiful when it's done with vibrant orange and green colors. The fennel has a wonderfully sweet taste and aroma which reminded me of nothing of what I feared so much in the past. I don't think I'm ready to take the plunge into devouring a bag of those black jelly beans yet, but for now, baby steps and I get to enjoy a scrumptious fennel pasta. Delicious, quick, and easy.

Carrot Fennel Pasta

  • 4-5 carrots, halved and cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 head fennel, any woody core removed, sliced into thin strips--chop the leafy frons for garnish at the end
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 + tablespoons butter
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 lb penne pasta, cooked

While pasta is cooking, stir carrots, fennel, onion and garlic into melted butter, in a skillet over medium high heat. Stir often, sprinkling mixture with a little of the boiling pasta water or white wine if it appears too dry.

When pasta is cooked through, drain and add to vegetable mixture. Season with salt and pepper and another pat of butter, if desired, and toss to mix. Serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. This is a delicious looking recipe. Next time try slicing the fennel in julienne strips and toss with baby arugula in a lemon vinaigrette dressing. For more ideas for your veggies, get a free subscription to Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc Restaurant's daily menu: http://www.adhocrestaurant.com/menu.php

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails