Tuesday, April 13, 2010

CSA Harvest


Here is the harvest that I picked up this afternoon: Grapefruit, Artichokes, Fava Beans, Nopales, Green Winter Bore Kale, Dandelion Greens, I’Itoi Onions, Spring Salad Mix.

A terrible side effect of medical school, every time I think of grapefruits the first thing that comes to mind is CYP3A4 inhibitor. Good thing I'm not on a statin because grapefruits are surely delicious.

The first week that we received kale, we made a huge batch of Olive Garden's Toscana Soup (my mom got me a cookbook of how to make all of your favorite restaurant dishes). It was creamy, hearty, and delicious. All that was missing was endless salad and bread sticks. My plan for this time are kale chips. I made them a few weeks ago, just some olive oil, salt, and pepper and bake. The kale crisps up like a potato chip, and are almost as addicting.

As for the artichokes (which are very small), fava beans, dandelion greens, and i'itoi onions, I am very open to suggestions.

One more thing, I am somewhat terrified of the nopales. My only experience with cactus pads was a very slimy and not enjoyable one. Listen, I love okra (especially fried), but I am not one that is deterred by slimy foods. But these nopales, they were a little much. I have been told by my own "Nopales Queen" that I can grill them or boil with a little baking soda. This should be interesting. Let the adventure begin!

1 comment:

  1. Here is an interesting way to use your artichokes:

    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/36279315/ns/today-today_food_and_wine/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails