Sunday, April 18, 2010

Potato Chips are SO Last Year

New color scheme, I was tired of the plain white. Let's see how long it takes for me to get sick of these crazy circus colors.

I love potato chips. They are so bad for you, but they are always the perfect remedy for a salt craving. They are crispy, salty, and delicious. Unfortunately, they are not the best for you, so I thought I would make kale chips instead. Interesting fact about kale, because it is so high in Vitamin K, patients taking warfarin or other anti-coagulants are encouraged not to eat it because warfarin inhibits Vitamin K dependent synthesis of clotting factors. How fascinating!

I have made kale chips before, but with red kale. I used too much oil and too much salt, so they weren't very tasty. This time we had beautiful green kale. One thing I noticed was that bugs love to hide in the nooks and crannies of the leaves. I washed each leaf about three times and I still kept finding bugs, but I guess that's what you get with organic veggies. After you wash the leaves, be sure to dry them completely. Either pat them down with paper towels, shake them off, or use a salad spinner. With the oil, a friend recommended using spray olive oil rather than drizzling it on. Either way, just be careful. If you use too much the leaves will never crisp up and stay a soggy mess on your baking pan. If you use too little, they will turn brown and burn. One last thing, you can season these with anything you like. In a spicy mood? Cayenne and paprika. In a garlic mood? Garlic salt. In a citrus mood? Lemon and salt. So easy, so fast, and so healthy. Kick those lame-o potato chips out and put these scrumptious little guys next to your hamburger or hot dog.

Kale Chips
  • One bunch of kale, washed and dried
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil or Olive oil spray
  • Salt and any other seasonings your heart desires!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place kale on a baking sheet and drizzle/spray with olive oil. Season with salt and any other seasonings. Place in oven for 20 minutes or until leaves are crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails